Tuesday, January 5, 2010

A Snowy Ride

So I bit the bullet this morning and put front shoes back on Emmy. I can't say that I really wanted to spend the money just to have them on for 2 months, but he feet grow so terribly slow that there's no way I could ride her in a sand ring without them. She would have no feet left!!

The snow finally let up for a little bit this afternoon and so I took the opportunity to take Emmy out for a ride (tomorrow is Johnny's turn lol) It was SUPER deep and really fluffy from all of the cold lake effect we've been getting. Of course, Pumpkin the mini just had to tag along with us and so we plunged into the deep stuff on the back drive and went to go have some fun! Pumpkin, who could barely walk through it, stayed right behind Emmy in the tracks that she was making, and even then the snow was still up to his shoulders! He couldn't really walk through it and keep up, so he would walk a few steps, and then hop and canter a few more strides, then walk, hop and canter...it was so funny to watch! Once I got Emmy trotting he would wait until she got a little ways down the path and take off running and bucking to catch up...too cute! When I got Emmy warmed up a little bit and put her in canter he zoomed up right behind her and kept up! D was on the tractor out in the field watching and said it was the funniest thing he'd ever seen. Both horses had such a good time! Emmy even did her happy little head shake, front leg flingy thing that she does instead of bucking (she's probably only bucked twice in the 7 years that I've owned her lol and I saw her rear once in the pasture when she just stood up for no reason...it was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen) Anyway, they both had a BLAST in the snow...and Emmy must be feeling especially good with her new shoes because when I went to bring the horses all in from the field before dinner she was the first one to gallop down the hill...leaping in the air like a psycho (refer to older post...Emmy NEVER runs anymore) It was good to see them so happy!

Here are a few pictures that I took on my phone while riding Emmy:


Pumpkin following in the tracks...and swimming through the snow!
(yeah that big black looking thing is Emmy's tail...)

Pumpkin following behind us in our tracks!

Hope you all are enjoying the winter wonderland!

Peace.Love.Ponies.

No comments:

Post a Comment