Tuesday, November 6, 2018

Fall, who?

Fall is my favorite season. By far. In fact, it really should be most horse people’s favorite season because with its beautiful colors, comes some of the best riding weather you can ask for...at least, that’s how fall is SUPPOSED to be.

This year, Ohio laughed, gave us horse people the big middle finger, and went from 86 to 46 degrees overnight in the third week of October. After that, the sky started spitting rain, and it hasn’t stopped since.

Seriously. It’s been raining for TWO WEEKS.

Everything here is WET. Saturated wet. The kind of wet where solid ground doesn’t even exist anymore and you just walk through endless slop anywhere you go. It is not conducive to horseback riding. Or turnout. Or stall cleaning....shit it’s just not good for ANYTHING honestly.

I did manage to take Johnny for a few walks in Cool’s hoof boots/pads. It’s the same “navicular” set up that I used to get Cool sound, and “navicular” is on the list of Johnny Woes, so I figured that it wouldn’t hurt. We did carrot stretches and then walked for 12 minutes up and down the road.

And then it started raining again. And Johnny, after finally not being lame in the right front, came up sore in his LEFT front a couple days later so really I’m just giving up for right now.

That’s actually a lie...I’m poulticing his tendons and wrapping his leg because it’s hot and inflamed and I fear that he may have actually hurt himself for real in all this MUD. 

I did get a short ride in on Cool yesterday and after bucking around a bit on the lunge line he was a very well behaved so I was super happy about that! 

And then it rained again last night. And no, I can’t make this crap up.

So until it dries out, I’ll just keep greasing heels,  cursing and sloshing through mud over here. 

Peace.Love.Ponies.


No comments:

Post a Comment